November 10th is Winter Weather Awareness Day. Snow storms are an inevitable part of living in Nebraska. Make sure that you and your family are prepared by adding these winter specific items to your preparedness kit:
- Rock salt or more environmentally safe products to melt ice on walkways. Visit the Environmental Protection Agency for a complete list of recommended products.
- Sand to improve traction.
- Snow shovels and other snow removal equipment.
- Sufficient heating fuel. You may become isolated in your home and regular fuel sources may be cut off. Store a good supply of dry, seasoned wood for your fireplace or wood-burning stove.
- Adequate clothing and blankets to keep you warm.
And remember, your family may not be together when a blizzard hits, so it is important to know in advance how you will contact one another. Now is the time to make a Family Communications Plan.
For more on what to do during and after severe winter weather, visit https://www.ready.gov/winter-weather.